Sigma information and a brief history
It is Japanese company founded by Michihiro Yamaki and produces cameras, lenses (the most famous product line), flashes and other accessories for photography. It is the largest family-owned independent camera lens manufacturer.
In 2018 Sigma became one of the founding members of the L-Mount Alliance together with Leica, while abandoning its SA-mount cameras line.
Sigma lens abbreviations
- A: Art, wide aperture lenses for low-light and creamy bokeh shooting.
- APO: high quality telephoto lenses with typically at least 3 low dispersion elements.
- C: Contemporary, lenses for general use.
- DG: lenses compatible with full-frame digital cameras.
- DN: lenses compatible with digital mirrorless cameras only.
- HSM: with HyperSonic Motor for auto-focus.
- OS: Optical image Stabilization.
- S: Sport, telephoto lenses.