Adobe has posted a prerelease version of its Lens Profile Creator utility to be used with Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 to correct lens chromatic aberration, vignetting and geometric distorsion. The custom built profiles can be used in Photoshop Lens Correction filter, in RAW editing in Adobe Camera Raw (but only from ACR v 6.1 on) or in Lightroom 3. Results for chromatic aberration correction working in RAW are extremely better than working with JPG, since the correction works before demosaicing (conversion of raw data from camera sensor) and image conversion takes place.
Datacolor has released Spyder3 Elite 4.0, its monitor color management solution.
From the press, the main new features in the upgrade are the following:
New Workflow Features make it easier to find and use advanced controls.
Software Brightness Control allows owners of iMac and other displays with limited controls to work with displays in a more desirable, dimmer environment, and match them to other displays.
Automated Brightness Adjustment on Apple Cinema Displays, iMacs, MacBooks and PowerBooks screens are now automatically adjusted by the Spyder software.
Iterative Gray Balance Option for improved accurate gray balance algorithm.
Display Graphing allows users to compare the range of multiple displays to one another, as well as to standard color spaces like sRGB and AdobeRGB.
Monitor Quality Analyzer provides the tools to determine the quality of a display. Using easy-to-read maps of a screen’s uniformity, it compares monitor displays to allow users to determine which areas of the screen are most accurate.
For existing Spyder3 Pro users, the upgrade cost is $99.00 USD, while for users who purchased Sypder3 Elite in 2010, the upgrade is free.
Adobe has released Lightroom 2.7, Camera Raw 5.7 and DNG Converter 5.7.
The Lightroom update adds support for nine cameras (Canon EOS 550D, Olympus E-PL1 and others), increases the cache size limit to 200GB (more previews stored) and fixes a slideshow bug (sometimes a crash occurred).
The Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop v5.7 incorportates a demosaicing algorithm compatible with settings applied in the Lightroom 3 beta.
Canon USA has expanded its Professional Services (CPS program) to Videographers, Cinematographers And Filmmakers, since DSLR cameras are becoming more and more also video tools.
The CPS program will keep the same three levels of membership (Silver, Gold and Platinum) to qualifying professional video customers (you need to have specific equipments in a range to be able to qualify). New members are able to sign-up and join the expanded CPS program since April 9th, 2010.
Today Adobe has announced Photoshop CS5 (standard and Extended versions), together with new versions of all Creative Suite products (Adobe Premiere, etc.).
Main improvements of this release:
- lens correction automation: apart from being extracted from the Filter - Distort menu to be more visible, now it is automatable with lens profiles, that is chromatic aberration, distorsion and vignetting can be automatically corrected using a database of lens profiles! Some will be included in the product, others can be added by users (since there are so many lens models around...).
- new Adobe Camera Raw: shared with Lightroom Beta, a new RAW engine with enhanced capability on detail extraction and noise suppression.
- content aware retouching: completely new algorthms to remove unwanted objects, also large ones by automatically replacing the object with patterns from other areas of the same image (like trees, wall, sands) giving (apparently) magic effects. The spot healing brush and the fill function benefit from this interesting addition.
- improved HDR: better combination of multiple images into a high dynamic range one, also with a welcome "remove ghost" feature that suppressed objects that moved from one shot to the next ones.
- manipulation of part of an object: a so called "puppet warp" feature enable to anchor points of an image corresponding to specific parts (like a leg of a person, a tail of an animal) and then the user, by moving the anchor points, warps/manipulates the image. To be tried.
- a so called "mini-bridge" that is a reduced version of Adobe Bridge embedded into Photoshop for easier file browsing.
Apple has released a plugin, called E1, to transfer video content directly into Final Cut Pro v6 or higher (famous video editing software) from some Canon EOS DSLR models: currently supported models are Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D and EOS 1D Mark IV.
The video plug-in is a free download at this link: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/finalcutstudio/.
Canon has updated Digital Photo Professional software to version 3.8.0 (Win) / 3.8.1 (Mac), EOS Utility v 2.8.1, Picture Style Editor v 1.7.0, WFT Utility v 3.5.1, Original Data Security Tools v 1.8.0.
Main updates for DPP are the support for the next EOS 550D / Rebel T2i and (finally) the addition of an horizon correction function to the Trimming Tool - before just 90° rotations were supported!
The updates can be downloaded from this link (click the "Drivers & Downloads" tab and select your operating system).
Page 8 of 21