DxO Labs has released version 7.2 of DxO Optics Pro software for RAW development. Changes in this version are:
- Support for new cameras (Panasonic Lumix G1, G2, GF3, Canon PowerShot S100);
- enhancements of the crop tool;
- fixing image paths when images are moved;
- "open with" function from third party programs opens a new project
- several bug fixes.
Not long ago (see our article here), Adobe announced a restrictive policy for upgrading Photoshop CSx products. Many ones complained (of course) since that meant to buy every major release to benefit from the usual discounted price.
In a partial response to that, Adobe announced that it will offer "special introductory upgrade pricing on Creative Suite 6 to customers who own CS3 or CS4. This offer will be available from the time CS6 is released until December 31, 2012".
All details about the updated Creative Suite upgrade policy available here.
CS6 is due to be released this year.
Lexar has announced first 1000x Compact Flash cards for professionals since they allow very high bursting shoot rate and HD video recording.
1000x stands for the speed that will be up to 20 MB per second for writing data into the card, while reading speed will be up to 150 MB/s (!) and thus fully compatible with USB 3 data rate.
The card sizes will be 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.
Corel has announced to have acquired (actually the deal was done some months ago) Bibble Labs, popular producer of Bibble Pro, one of the 6 most popular RAW editing software (together with Lightroom/Photoshop, Aperture, Capture One, DxO, RawTherapee).
We can expect that the Bibble Pro product will be rebranded.
Adobe has released Lightroom version 3.6 and corresponding Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) version 6.6 plugin for Photoshop.
The update of Lightroom includes these items:
- 10 new cameras supported;
- many new lens modules;
- several bug fixes like:
- Rapid advancement through the grid can crash the preview processor
- Tethering doesn’t work with the Nikon D3x
- Lightroom does not write to the correct metadata fields after editing capture time
- Lightroom crashes when saving keyword to file
- Certain JPG files are shown as damaged or unsupported after import
- Publish to Hard Disk fails in LR 3.5 for publish collections created in 3.3 or earlier
- Entering a custom aspect ratio in Quick Develop leaves the Crop Ratio menu black
- Copy/Pasted Crop Aspect Ratio lost on edit
- Copy/Pasted/Previous crop loses aspect ratio lock when adjusted in the Develop module
Full details at this link.
Adobe has announced an important change in upgrade qualifications for Creative Suite 6 products: to qualify for CS6 (not yet released) with an upgrade discount, customer will have to own the previous version licence (CS5 or CS5.5).
This would be probably the new upgrade pricing model from now on, or an attempt to force customers to keep updating alive constantly, while so far many ones skipped releases since CS products are not cheap...
Until end of 2011 a discount will be offered to customer of version prior to CS5 in order to qualify for upcoming CS6 as upgrades (and not full price).
Lightroom 3.4.1 and Camera Raw 6.4.1 updates are available on Adobe.com and through the update mechanisms available in Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3.
This update addresses the issue introduced in the Lightroom 3.4 and Camera Raw 6.4 release (see our article here) and corrects another rare bug that could cause JPG files to show incorrect color.
Adobe has a announced (see here) affecting Adobe Lightroom 3.4 (latest version up to now) and Photoshop plugin Camera Raw 6.4 (latest one too).
Basically, when saving metadata to JPEG files, for specific condition (very complex metadata) and certain cameras, JPG file corruption can occur (so that the JPG might become unreadable).
A fast fix should be on the way but up to now just on a HP Photosmart camera the bug has been confirmed.
Adobe has announced Creative Suite version 5.5, for the first time an intermediate upgrade between major release. Let's say immediately that this upgrade is not free.
Major enhancements have been added to many programs of the suite (mainly Adobe Premiere Pro for video making) with except of Photoshop that nevertheless will be enriched with a Photoshop Touch SDK that will allow developers of applications for Apple iPad, RIM upcoming Playbook device and Android ones to make those applications interact with Photoshop running on a Windows or a Mac. Adobe is preparing 3 apps for iPad to be launched in May to show some capabilities with very low price (under 5 $).
Adobe has released version 3.3 of Lightroom.
This updates includes:
- support for 15 new cameras (including compact models);
- a long list of new lenses and some tuning of already supported models;
- a very long list of bug fixes, ranging from performance issues with clone and spot tools and jpeg export, smart collection bug, gallery view little problems and so on. Full list is available at this link.
Page 6 of 21